JHU Benefits Site - Commuter Assistance

Commuter Assistance


You are eligible for the JHU Commuting-to-Work program if you are a full-time or part-time faculty or staff member who is paid semi-monthly. Visiting faculty and Bargaining Unit members are not eligible for this benefit.

About the Program

This program allows you to have pre-tax deductions taken from your pay to cover eligible expenses associated with your commute to work. You may elect a transit account (public transportation), parking account (non-JHU), or both. Through WageWorks, our commuter benefit provider, you can make a one-time election to cover the same expenses each month. Or, if your commuting needs change regularly, you may elect to cover different expenses every month. Elections or changes made by the 10th of the month will take effect the next month. (For example, you must make changes to your September commuter benefits by August 10th.)

The cost of the transit or non-JHU parking will be deducted from your paycheck over two pay periods: on the last day of the month ordered and the 15th of the following month.

Pre-Tax Commuting-to-Work Limits

The JHU Commuting-to-Work Program treats qualified parking and mass transit expenses on a pre-tax basis which means the amounts are excluded from your taxable income up to the amount allowed by the IRS. For tax year 2019, the monthly pre-tax spending limit for non-JHU parking will increase to $265 per month. The limit for mass transit will also increase to $265 per month.

WageWorks, our commuter benefits provider, offers transportation passes and automatic payment of your monthly non-JHU parking fees. For more information or to enroll in the commuter program, contact WageWorks at 1-877-924-3967 or visit www.wageworks.com.

Mass Transit

WageWorks covers some commuting expenses, such as a WMATA SmarTrip card, directly–your money is loaded onto your SmarTrip card for you. A WageWorks commuter card is also available. The commuter card is a reusable stored value card which can be used to purchase MTA passes and tickets or to add monies to the Baltimore City CharmCard. For other expenses, you will be required to pay out-of-pocket and request reimbursement from WageWorks. In this case, you still must submit your projected monthly expense no later than the 10th of each month (these do not renew automatically). After you incur the eligible expenses, submit your claim directly to WageWorks for reimbursement.

Mass transit passes will be mailed to your home address. Check the WageWorks Web site to ensure your address is correct and be sure to notify WageWorks if your address changes.

Non-JHU Parking

If you park at a non-JHU garage or facility, WageWorks can pay the facility directly. If you park at a JHU facility and have your parking fee deducted from your paycheck, you automatically receive the pre-tax benefit.

How to Enroll


  • Register on the WageWorks Web site.
  • Enter the required sign-up information for accurate identification.
  • Create a username/password and ensure your contact information is correct.
  • Read the user agreement and confirm your acceptance.
  • Select the "Transit" or "Parking" tab and choose your provider.
  • Confirm your selection and for transit, look for the pass in your mailbox.
  • The cost will automatically be deducted from your paycheck.


Call WageWorks at 1-877-924-3967 (1-877-WAGEWORKS), Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET.