Marriage/Domestic Partnership

Marriage/Domestic Partnership

When you get married or enter into a domestic partnership, you have the opportunity to make changes to your benefits.

Issues to Consider

  • Does your spouse or domestic partner have benefits coverage from another source?
  • Does your spouse or domestic partner have any dependents?
  • Do you wish to update your flexible spending account contributions?
  • Is your life insurance coverage adequate? Do you need dependent life insurance? Do you need to update your beneficiaries?

Take Action

When you need to make a change because of a marriage/domestic partnership, be sure to:

  • Go to the myChoices Tab on the Benefits website. Select the link for Life Events to make your benefit elections within 30 days following the life event.
  • Upload supporting documentation to the enrollment site. You will be required to provide a marriage license or an Affidavit of Marriage/Domestic Partnership Form.
  • Update beneficiary records for life insurance and with your investment company for the 403(b) Retirement Plan.

Remember, you are only allowed to make changes that are consistent with your life event.

If You Don’t Take Action

If you do not make a change because of a marriage/domestic partnership within 30 days of the event, your JHU benefits will stay the same. Your next opportunity to make changes (to medical, dental, flexible spending accounts, short-term disability, life insurance and dependent life, and personal accident insurance) will be during annual enrollment, unless you have another qualified life event.